Birmingham, “The Magic City,” is Alabama’s most populous metropolis—one with a rich and storied past. The thriving and historic area is a popular tourist destination thanks to its top-notch culinary scene, vibrant and bustling downtown, and beautiful greenery.
With a burgeoning job scene and large corporations like Shipt, Regions Bank, BBVA USA, Lakeshore Foundation, many travel and stay here for business.
Neighborhoods in Birmingham
If you’re thinking about a short- or long-term stay in Birmingham, we suggest you check out the following neighborhoods:
- Southside – Just south of Birmingham proper on Red Mountain, Southside is a vibrant and diverse neighborhood right by the University.
- Highland Park – One of Birmingham’s most historic neighborhoods is just two miles from the business district.
- Five points South – Close proximity to the nightlife district make it a popular spot for college students and young professionals.
- Lakeview – Located in the quieter section of downtown, you’re within walking distance of the arts and culinary districts.
- Forest Park – This district has it all, from nightlife to daytime activities. It’s conveniently located between the 20, 59, and 65 interstates, which makes it a breeze to travel downtown or to the airport.
- Downtown Birmingham - This bustling neighborhood is filled with historic hotels, museums, restaurants, and unique retail shops.
- Parkside - Home to Railroad Park, Regions Field, and Bakers Row, this new neighborhood is innovative and offers a sophisticated urban living experience.
- Vestavia - This down-to-earth residential community offers plenty to do, with its variety of amazing gastropubs and restaurants, all the way to its close proximity to Wald Park.
- Mountain Brook - From the Birmingham Zoo to the Botanical Gardens, there’s something to do for everyone in this upscale suburban neighborhood.
- Greystone - Starting as one of Birmingham’s first planned communities, Greystone is home to some of the best golf courses, parks, and restaurants in the area.
- Homewood - Close to Soho Square, this neighborhood offers plenty to do with its cafes, boutiques, and even popular hiking and biking trails.
Birmingham is brimming with fun daytime and nighttime activities and opportunities. We suggest that you:
- Sip cocktails, listen to music and shop all at the same time at Open Shop
- Catch live music at the space-themed Saturn
- Spend a day at with the animals at the Birmingham Zoo
- Stroll through Aldridge Gardens
- Cheer on Birmingham Legion FC or the Birmingham Barons.
Birmingham’s culinary scene has exploded over the past few decades. It boasts a wide array of restaurants, bars, and grills from all over the world. Places you need to try include:
- Saw’s Juke Joint – A BBQ spot that is renowned for its pork n’ greens.
- ZaZa Trattoria – A casual Italian trattoria that’s famous for its brunch, particularly the French toast.
- Delta Blues Hot Tamales – Cajun and creole fare. It’s known for its Mississippi delta tamales.
- Highlands Bar and Grill – French-inspired, regional southern fare by famous Frank Stitt. It is voted the best restaurant in America by the James Beard awards in 2018.
- Hot and Hot Fish Club – A fusion of southern and French fine dining, the surf and turf tartare is to die for.
There are several ways you can get around the city, including:
- MAX – The Metro Area Express runs from 6am to 5pm Monday through Friday.
- Mega Bus – A low-cost express bus that provides city-to-city travel for as little as a buck.
- Amtrak – Should you wish to head over to Atlanta, New Orleans, or New York, the Amtrak train runs daily throughout the city.
- Ride Shares – Both Lyft and Uber run in the city at all hours of the day and night.
Landing's Furnished Apartments in Birmingham
Birmingham is a lovely and historic city, beloved by students and young professionals alike. There are endless opportunities here, so head on over, snag a Landing, and check it out yourself!
At Landing, our mission is to create a shift in the way people rent apartments and travel. We do so by offering beautifully designed, fully furnished apartments for rent in Birmingham that are more flexible than a typical apartment lease, yet more affordable than a hotel. With all the amenities you would need for day to day living, Landing is your on-the-go home waiting patiently for your arrival.
Browse our fully furnished apartments for rent in Birmingham, AL to find your new home.