When you’re searching for the perfect apartment, there’s so much to consider. You need to find a unit with a great floor plan that’s in your budget, in your target neighborhood, and that offers the bells and whistles you can’t live without.
By bells and whistles, we mean amenities.
An apartment amenity can be anything from furnishings to central air conditioning to a community pool. But which do you want and which do you need? We’ve assembled a list of amenities to look for in an apartment so that you can create your own personalized checklist.
Let’s get started.
Amenities In Your Unit
No matter how upgraded your building is, your unit is where you wake up in the morning and go to sleep at night. Whether you’re in a fully furnished apartment or an unfurnished apartment, make sure your apartment has the amenities you absolutely need to stay comfortable year-round.
Finding an apartment with the right square footage and floor plan is the first priority. From there, many people have one or more of the following on their list of must-have in-unit amenities:
- Internet access
- Cable ready wiring
- Steel kitchen appliances
- Quartz countertops
- Hardwood flooring
- Closet space
- Washer and dryer
- Patio or balcony
- USB ports
Beyond these must-haves, you can also inquire about the possibility of renting your apartment fully or partially furnished.
Do apartments come furnished? An apartment’s furnishings will depend on the renter. Wouldn’t it be great to skip the expensive process of moving all your furniture? After all, you may end up putting half of it on the sidewalk when you realize it doesn’t fit the space. Then, you have to spend months saving up for the new furnishings that will make the space comfortable. This might leave your space feeling empty and incomplete for weeks.
When it comes to getting cozy in your unit, a furnished apartment speeds up the timeline. In addition, you’ll never have to worry about buying furniture that may not fit in your next unit.
That’s why furnishings are a great amenity to seek.
The following furnishings can make a space livable and enjoyable from the first day you move in:
- Luxury mattress
- Bedside table
- Plush couches
- Dining table
- Side table
- Lamps and lighting
- Cooking equipment, flatware, and dishes
- Waste bins
- TV and Apple TV/Roku
If you don’t typically think of a lease as an amenity, you should. Just like there are different types of apartments, there are also different types of leases.
A lease can make or break your experience in an apartment. If you’re locked into a two-year lease for lower rent, you may find yourself regretting your choice when you discover a structural problem only a few months in. Likewise, some leases can provide a free first month, while others may have fewer welcome surprises in the fine print.
The following lease types allow tenants extra flexibility:
- Month-to-month lease – Month-to-month leasing gives both you and your landlord the right to end your rental with 30 days’ notice. With no firm move-out date, you’re able to start looking for a new apartment whenever you like. On the downside, your landlord can ask you to leave or raise your rent unexpectedly.
- Flexible lease – With Landing, you can move to another apartment with just 30 days’ notice. This way, you have all the security of a longer-term lease, as well as the flexibility to change apartments, even if just for a change of scenery.
This type of lease also offers flexibility if you need to suddenly relocate or have pending plans. Flexible leases are extremely valuable in uncertain times because they allow you to leave your apartment with decent notice without having to pay early termination fees.
You may also want to look for a lease with the following features:
- Some or all utilities included
- Free high-speed internet
- Furnishings included in the lease
- First month rent-free
Amenities In the Building
When you’re looking for the perfect apartment, the unit itself is paramount. But the building can also impact your quality of life. Some buildings may have little more to boast than a mailbox, leaving you on your own when it comes to laundry, exercise, pet walking, and more.
But there’s also a new trend in mega-buildings—with hundreds or even thousands of units and amenities—that rival 5-star hotels. With the advent of these buildings, other new developments are upping their amenities game to offer everything from access to grand pianos to in-building restaurants and salons.
We’ve outlined what some of these upgrades look like in this luxury apartments amenities list below.
If you live in a densely populated city, your apartment might not be big enough for a home office, a treadmill, and a projector. In a luxury building, you may not have to pick and choose. Special rooms to look out for include:
- Gym – Some buildings offer fitness classes or sessions with personal trainers
- Yoga room – Enjoy your buildings’ props and the open, airy space. Some buildings may even offer yoga classes for residents.
- Sauna – A dry or wet sauna can be a great place to relax and destress.
- Coffee shop – Grab your morning cup of joe without leaving your building.
- Party room – Reserve a room in your building so you can fit more guests at your next soiree. This way, you don’t have to worry about someone damaging your furniture.
- Meeting room – Do you work from home? With a meeting room, you have a place to meet clients, too.
- Computer lab – Take a break from your laptop and print any necessary documents in your building’s lab.
- Movie theater – Reserve the movie room to screen your favorite movie or TV show.
- Laundry room – If you don’t have a washer and dryer in your unit, you definitely need one in the building.
In addition to these rooms, you may want to be on the lookout for a building with a parking garage (if you have a car). If you drive an electric or hybrid vehicle, make sure it has charging stations for your car, too. An on-site parking garage can save you from the hassle of street parking and shave minutes off your commute.
In addition to special rooms, some buildings have services that make everyday life easier.
- Doorman – Finally, someone can sign for your packages and screen incoming guests.
- Pet services – Save on petcare with your building’s grooming and dog walking services. Some buildings may even have staff who can stop in to care for your cat while you’re gone.
- Security guards – Guards and cameras can help you feel safe at home.
- Recycling collection – Some buildings may pick up recycling at your apartment door, saving you a crowded elevator trip.
- Package locker – Your doorman can only take so many packages. A storage locker makes it easy to pick up your packages when you arrive home.
Urban residents are less likely to know their neighbors compared to other Americans. However, some apartment buildings make it possible to connect with your fellow residents. This encourages community, and may even yield new friends or business contacts.
Amenities that can help you connect include:
- Co-working space – Work amongst others while working from home.
- Game nights and happy hours – Take advantage of scheduled events and activities that take place inside your building.
- A lounge – Common space helps you escape your apartment for a change of scenery, allowing you to meet new friends in the process.
If you have a special passion like fine dining or skateboarding, there might be a building that caterers directly to your interests. Real-life apartment ultra-luxury amenities include:
- Private restaurants
- An in-building sommelier
- Tanning salons
- Cooking classes
Sometimes, the only outdoor space a building boasts is fire escapes. But if you love being in the sun, consider looking for a building with outdoor amenities like a shared grilling station, swimming pool, or extra green space. This could be something as simple as a courtyard, or an elaborate roofscape fitted with picnic tables, meeting nooks, hammocks, and more.
Potential outdoor amenities include:
- Rooftop space
- Sun deck
- Swimming pool or hot tub
- Community garden
- Dog park
Landing Amenities Fit Your Needs
Which amenities are on your list? With Landing, you can browse apartments in your city of choice. All our units are fully furnished. They’re your home away from home. Keep an eye out for listings that feature the apartment amenities you’ve been dreaming about.
Better yet, when you sign a lease, you can find a new home base with just 30 day’s notice. Enjoy the benefits of a long-term lease yet with all the flexibility of a short-term one. If you’re moving to another city or craving an apartment with a pool, start looking for other Landing properties and make your move today! Check out our apartment hunting tips to help you find the right apartment for you.